I have been on an avocado kick lately. The are perfectly filling and great for the spring and summer months since they are on the lighter side.
Today I have these southwest chicken salad avocado bowls for you guys. They are AH-mazingly tasty! Plus the presentation is pretty impressive.
I am all about dishes served in an edible “bowl” of some sort. It just gives it that extra something that especially when hosting an event its always a hit!
This is a perfect example of a dish you can make ahead of time and “stuff” them right before your guests arrive or you are serving for a good old laid back dinner for your family.
Since the next month is so jammed packed with end of the school activities, these southwest chicken salad avocado bowls make dinner so simple for me. Packed with flavor, I usually just serve these with yellow rice and beans on the side. My kids and husband love when I make this simple summery dish.
Southwest Chicken Salad Avocado Bowls
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chunky salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 avocados
- Shred your cooked chicken with a fork until you reach your desired consistency.
- Fold the chicken, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice together in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate chicken salad for at least 30 minutes for the ingredients and flavors to blend well together, or skip to the next step to serve immediately but I find it tastes better when it sits for a bit.
- When you are ready to serve, slice the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit. You use each half as a serving bowl per person, stuffing the chicken salad into the empty pit cavity and then mounding heaping spoonfuls over top of the entire surface of the avocado half.
Optional: top your avocado bowls with shredded cheese and chopped bacon for an extra punch of flavor. Makes it extra delicious!
Have you ever tried Southwest Chicken Salad Avocado Bowls before?
More summery dishes you may like:
Weekly Cleaning Schedule Printable
Subscribe to get your copy of this Weekly Cleaning Schedule Printable