I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I especially loved the neatly packaged goodies that the thoughtful candy companies provide for me such as, Snickers, Butterfinger,and especially at Christmas, Peppermint Patties.
Oh the yummy minty deliciousness of Peppermint Patties, how could I not include you in my holiday baking?
Hubby loves them too but he is not a fan of Dark Chocolate, by making them myself I can give him the mint flavor he loves dipped in milk chocolate and he is a happy guy. I tried these a couple different ways and this recipe and technique seem to be the best. Coconut oil does not make them taste like coconut and actually gives the least flavor of all the fats you could use in my opinion.
With a few simple ingredients I promise you will never buy store bought Peppermint Patties again!
Homemade Peppermint Patties Recipe
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. peppermint extract
- 1 16 oz. package of milk or dark chocolate chips
- Melt coconut oil in your microwave (35-30 seconds should do it)
- Combine melted oil, peppermint extract, and powdered sugar in the bowl for a hand or stand mixer until well mixed.
- Transfer to a a sheet of plastic wrap and lightly cover, roll and shape into a log that is somewhere between the diameter of a quarter and a half dollar. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place log in refrigerator for 10-20 minutes to firm up just a little- you want it firm enough to slice through easily but not so hard it crumbles.
- Remove from fridge, unwrap and slice into ¼” thick pieces.
- Place slices back into freezer while you melt chocolate- the colder the better, it makes dipping much easier.
- To melt chocolate place in a glass bowl, and heat in 30 second incrments until fully melted -stir each time. Stir 2 tsp. coconut oil into chocolate to make it thinner and easier to work with.
- Spread out a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper.
- Remove half your mint filling from freezer.
- Drop a couple mint discs into the chocolate, pushing them down gently to coat.
- Lift out of chocolate with a fork, gently tap on the side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Place on waxed paper and allow to harden (place in refrigerator to set them in minutes).
- If you want to get a little fancy- as soon as you set down your pattie take the back of a spoon and circle around to create a swirl on top.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge- coconut oil melts in warm temps.
Weekly Cleaning Schedule Printable
Subscribe to get your copy of this Weekly Cleaning Schedule Printable