I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I especially loved the neatly packaged goodies that the thoughtful candy companies provide for me such as, Snickers, Butterfinger,and especially at Christmas, Peppermint Patties.
Oh the yummy minty deliciousness of Peppermint Patties, how could I not include you in my holiday baking?
Hubby loves them too but he is not a fan of Dark Chocolate, by making them myself I can give him the mint flavor he loves dipped in milk chocolate and he is a happy guy. I tried these a couple different ways and this recipe and technique seem to be the best. Coconut oil does not make them taste like coconut and actually gives the least flavor of all the fats you could use in my opinion.
With a few simple ingredients I promise you will never buy store bought Peppermint Patties again!
Homemade Peppermint Patties Recipe
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. peppermint extract
- 1 16 oz. package of milk or dark chocolate chips
- Melt coconut oil in your microwave (35-30 seconds should do it)
- Combine melted oil, peppermint extract, and powdered sugar in the bowl for a hand or stand mixer until well mixed.
- Transfer to a a sheet of plastic wrap and lightly cover, roll and shape into a log that is somewhere between the diameter of a quarter and a half dollar. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place log in refrigerator for 10-20 minutes to firm up just a little- you want it firm enough to slice through easily but not so hard it crumbles.
- Remove from fridge, unwrap and slice into ¼” thick pieces.
- Place slices back into freezer while you melt chocolate- the colder the better, it makes dipping much easier.
- To melt chocolate place in a glass bowl, and heat in 30 second incrments until fully melted -stir each time. Stir 2 tsp. coconut oil into chocolate to make it thinner and easier to work with.
- Spread out a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper.
- Remove half your mint filling from freezer.
- Drop a couple mint discs into the chocolate, pushing them down gently to coat.
- Lift out of chocolate with a fork, gently tap on the side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Place on waxed paper and allow to harden (place in refrigerator to set them in minutes).
- If you want to get a little fancy- as soon as you set down your pattie take the back of a spoon and circle around to create a swirl on top.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge- coconut oil melts in warm temps.
Weekly Cleaning Schedule Printable
Subscribe to get your copy of this Weekly Cleaning Schedule Printable
36 thoughts on “Homemade Peppermint Patties”
I am drooling over here. Those sound soooo good. One of my favorite candies 🙂
Oh My Gosh…. These look so amazing!!! I am going to have to make these for the holidays. I know they will be a hit!!! Thank you so much for sharing! =D
Amanda @ Adorkablii recently posted…Colgate Enamel Health Toothpaste Vlog #ColgateEnamelHealth #MC #Sponsored
You are very welcome! They are so good 😉
I am going to show this recipe to my Daughter. She thinks peppermint patties are the bomb.
Terry recently posted…#DIY Winter Glove, Hat And Scarf Storage Solution
Oh how fun do these look! We love peppermint patties! I’m pinning this!
Thank you 🙂
I love those mint patties, but have never tried making my own! If I have a little time this holiday season, totally want to try these. Yum!
Theresa recently posted…Rustic Maka Pachy ~ Pure, Simple & Organic Deodorant. Less Is More!
I never knew how easy they were to make and so much tastier than store bought
These would be the perfect addition to our holiday candy making!
Melanie K. recently posted…Daisy BB Guns Make Cool Christmas Gifts for Boys
I’ve never made homemade peppermint patties before. I love them and now that I know how to make my own I’ll probably never buy them again. 🙂
Love this! Peppermint patties are my favorite!
I like peppermint too 😉 This recipe looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing.
Jessica Cassidy recently posted…Anavita moisturizing anti cream is a must for women to have in their Holiday wish list
Wow! Amazing, I would love to try this sometime! It looks delicious!
Heather recently posted…Fresh and Healthy: Simple Steps for Making Homemade Baby Food
Okay now I am craving a peppermint patty. I might just have to make a run to the store.
Melissa Vera recently posted…Smile at Your Challenges
They are so good 🙂
THESE LOOK AMAZING and so easy! I love that you use coconut oil too! A must try!
Christina recently posted…My Unstoppable Mom Moments This Year
Oh those look amazing! I will be starting my holiday baking and treat making soon. Pinning this!
Amanda K recently posted…#JingleAllTheWay2 set visit with @FHEInsiders # Part 1 #JingleInsiders
These look amazing. My boys love peppermint patties, so I will be making some of these this month.
Kathleen recently posted…Huawei’s Ascend Mate 2 – The Only Phone You Should Have on Your Holiday Shopping List
I am making these for sure. Thank you!!
Oh my goodness I can’t wait to try this recipe. And your pics are amazing!
Melanie recently posted…Minted for the Holidays and a Giveaway!
Thank you 🙂 it is so good. Let me know if you try it!
YUM!! I love peppermint patties, and these look so easy!! I so will be trying these for a little treat soon. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe, pinned!
Amanda @ Dwelling in Happiness recently posted…Motivational Monday 16
My hubby would love these as we eat endless bags of peppermint patties, I love how you used coconut oil! 🙂
All month long I am featuring different holiday cookie creations for my cookie countdown to Christmas! I would love it if you stopped by to check it out! 🙂
I love peppermint patties! Going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing.
Oh, THANK YOU for bringing these little treasures to the Wonderful Wed. Blog Hop. I featured you on my fb page and can’t wait to see what you bring next week!!! Carrie, A Mother’s Shadow
Thank you so much!
I’m totally in love with this! Yummy. Pinned and tweeted. We appreciate you being a part of our party, and I hope to see you on tonight at 7 pm. We love partying with you!
Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls
These look so yummy! My hubby and I keep a box of the junior mints in the refrigerator for and little after dinner snack if we want a little something sweet, so I am going to have to try these. Pinned! Thanks for sharing!
Linda@MixedKreations recently posted…Handmade Spring Decor
These sound so delicious and easy. Can’t wait to try them! Thanks for linking up at the #HomeMattersParty
Vickie recently posted…My Goals for this Week 5/5/15
Oh my goodness this looks amazing!
Kayla recently posted…Easy DIY Wire Wrapped Mother’s Necklace
I love patties!Can’t even imagine how great homemade must taste!
Mila (Idea Box)
Mila recently posted…Living room decorating ideas
Yum! I love mint patties – they were my favourite when I was little.
I’ve heard about peppermint patties from film and tv and always wondered what they are. Here in the Uk we have peppermint creams which are similar but they don’t have the fat in them, they are usually made with egg white instead. I’ve also seen a version with condensed milk.
I fancy giving these a go for a change, I know a few people who would appreciate homemade sweets this Christmas.